Saturday, 15 December 2012

The Eyes Have It

Henry Fonda, Once Upon a Time in The West
Robert De Niro, Once Upon a Time In America
Eli Wallach, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Lee Van Cleef, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Clint Eastwood, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
I love Leone. The 'Once Upon A Time' films are both worthy additions to the western and mafiosi genres. Great scores from Leone's old schoolmate Ennio Morricone. But it's his Spaghetti Western trilogy that hold a special place in my heart. I'm not a big fan of westerns, nor Clint 'wifebeater' Eastwood. For me it's all in the vital direction and stunning scores. I've been watching A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for nearly 30 years and will hopefully be watching them in 2042. 

There's plenty for smartypants film theorists to wax on about; the brutal violence, man's animal nature, the primitive dialogue and dubbing causing intentional/unintentional humour. For me it's all about the eyes. Cinema is the art of the long gaze and Leone boiled it down to it's essence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment