Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Lemuel


'I desired to see Alexander the Great at the head of his army...'

Talking of Edward Bawden, here's one of a series of illustrations he made for one of my favourite books, 'Gullivers Travels'. The scene depicted is from Gulliver's trip to Glubbdubdrib, the land of magicians and necromancers, where he is able to meet and question great, long dead figures from history.

This picture is currently hanging in the junk room I rather pitifully call 'the office', although no work of any kind ever goes on there. One day it will be a tidy, calm, beautifully decorated space in which I can sit in a large, comfortable chair and listen to Ralph Vaughan Williams records, perhaps whilst smoking a pipe. At the current rate of progress, that day will be in 2050, and I will die shortly afterwards, perhaps whilst smoking a crack pipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment