Friday, 26 October 2012

Friday Night Film: The Cabin In The Woods


I don’t watch a lot of ‘new’ films, mainly because I’m still trying to deal with over a hundred years of cinema history but also because, when I do, I tend to find that they look fantastic, sound incredible but, rather like a disappointing gourmet meal, leave you fancying a bag of chips on the way home.
That’s a sweeping generalisation, of course, from a very partisan point of view. Once in a while, though, I see something that makes me feel that perhaps the modern era isn’t a complete waste of time. Case in point: ‘The Cabin In The Woods’.







It’s pretty difficult to say anything about the film without spoiling bits of it, so I’ll try and steer away from the plot, especially as, unlike a lot of the stuff we usually feature, there’s a good chance you might even be able to see this film somewhere soon. What I will say is that it takes the conventions of American horror film (teens, death) adds a big dollop of H.P Lovecraft, a smattering of Arthur C. Clarke and deliberately allows the mixture to boil over into a gleefully over the top finale which keeps on upping the ante until the only logical step is for the whole world to be destroyed.





For me, the best thing about the film apart from the myriad of horror references is that you keep expecting it to cop out - for it all to be a damp squib, a trick, a joke, a dream - but it never does. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, but it's serious about where its going. I can't remember a new film I have enjoyed more for about ten years and, even as a seasoned horror film watcher, I found myself constantly surprised and delighted by the sheer excess and chaotic fun of it all.

So, yes, if you haven't already got a horror film lined up for Halloween (Really? What sort of person are you?) you know what to do. If you don't know what to do, go back to the top of the page and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment