Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Ex Dwarf

For those outside of my small quadrant of the nerdsphere, White Dwarf was a magazine founded in 1977, dedicated to fantasy role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, Traveller and Runequest. Don't know what I'm talking about? Indulge me - your adolescence was probably more well adjusted than mine and you won't have dusty boxes of lead miniatures and gaming magazines in your loft that you can't quite bear to part with. Flicking through some old copies recently, the small ads raised a wry chuckle. Fantasy stereotypes are a reality. I used to work in one of these places, but you'll have to guess which one.
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I used to live not far from John & Julie's. I knew it well. They are still there. Picture framers now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Wonderworld from college days. If you can bare to part with them, there is good money to be made selling your old miniatures and games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That came out of the ark! I'm surprised you still had a copy of that! John

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gameskeeper is still there, the last time I was in Oxford

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, those adverts are burned deep in my memory banks from an early-ish copy of White Dwarf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "dusty boxes of lead miniatures and gaming magazines in your loft that you can't quite bear to part with"
    :that's the story of my loft.
    Anyone fancies a game of Talisman, let me know.

    ReplyDelete