Friday, 24 June 2011

Sometimes Mildly Obscene


This sequence from the Arena documentary about Joe Orton (and, of course, Kenneth Halliwell) Genius Like Us made me laugh like nothing else in 1982, got me reading plays and inspired me to buy a typewriter and embark on a short and happily undetected period of copycat tomfoolery before moving on to a series of Edna Welthorpe type hoax letters.

If you ever get a chance to see an amateur production of one of Orton's seven plays, go - my most memorable theatrical experience was watching a production of 'What The Butler Saw' by the Great Yarmouth based 'Anna Sewell Players' where, contrary to Noel Coward's advice, they hadn't learned their lines, dear, and kept bumping into the furniture.

My second most memorable theatrical experience was watching a student production of 'Entertaining Mr. Sloane' where the seductive, manipulative title character was played by an actor who closely resembled Ronnie Corbett.

1 comment:

  1. The Confessions Of A Librarian! Phwoaarrr!!!

    Love the clip, hope you don't mind, but I'd like to pilfer it for my little blog?

    Come see my collection of guano at...
    http://theguanogallery.blogspot.com/

    ...I NEED THE VIEWERS!!

    ReplyDelete